Convenient Edmonton

Registration Services

Call: 780-448-2233
Hours of Operation

Monday – Friday: 8:30AM – 8:00PM

Saturday: 9:00AM – 5:00PM

Sunday: 12:00PM – 4:00PM


16658 109 Ave NW‎, Edmonton, AB T5P 1C2

Get Directions

Please note All Registry Offices will be CLOSED on the 2nd Sunday of every month due to mandatory Government system upgrades. Our regular hours resume on Monday!

Family Enjoy The Trip
Online Vehicle Services

Book a Road Test

Register Your Vehicle

Need Learner Permit Banner Image

Alberta Drivers License Learners Permit

Learner’s Permit

Get Your Class 7 in Alberta

No appointment is necessary to write your learners, but you must be 14 or older. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent or guardian sign a Parental Consent Form in front of a Registry Clerk so that all your information is verified.

Contact Us

Smiley Face

What you need to get your learner’s permit

To get your learner’s permit, you must:

  • Acceptable identification
  • Have parental or guardian Consent if you’re under 18 years old
  • Provide proof of residency, such as a utility bill, lease agreement, or bank statement that displays your name and current address in Alberta
  • Pass the knowledge test
  • Pass a vision test
  • Provide payment

Once your identity is confirmed and entered into the Motor Vehicles system, you will purchase a permit to take the multiple-choice knowledge test on our computers. If you fail the test you may take it again the next day; however, you will have to pay the fee each time you try the test.

Alberta Registries limits attempts to one per day province-wide. After you pass your knowledge test, you will be given a vision test which you must also pass. If you fail your vision test, you may be required to obtain a vision test from a medical professional.

Need more information? Contact us at : 780-448-2233

We are now taking bookings for Road Testing

When you’re ready, you can book your passenger vehicle roads test ( Class 5 & 6) with us, which will be delivered by private driver examiners through our registry. You can either book your road test online or come in and we will assist you in booking your appointment.

Book Your Road Test Online

Thumbs up sign

Questions? We have answers!

Obtaining your learner’s permit is an exciting time. It means you’re one step closer to getting a full driver’s License in Alberta. Our helpful staff is here to assist you every step of the way.

Need more information? Contact us at: 780-448-2233

If you are over the age of 18, it is compulsory for you to submit proof of residency in Alberta. Some of the documents accepted are:

  • Credit card or bank statements which are less than 90 days old
  • A house rental agreement from a third-party property management company
  • Land or property assessment documents in your name
  • Letter of employment from an Alberta-based company – the letter cannot be accepted if over 15 days old
  • Personal tax assessment – it should be the most recent and issued by Canada
  • Mobile phone bills

Yes. This is only available to individuals who have applied for a License which is a class 3, 6 or 7. The requirements required to become a translator for the knowledge test are that the individual should have a translator identification number (TIN).

He or she should also be currently certified or accredited translators from:

  • Alberta Court Interpreters Association
  • The Alberta Chapter of Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (ACRID)
  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing Society
  • The Association of Translators and Interpreters of Alberta
  • Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC)
  • The Association of Visual Language Interpreters of Southern Alberta (AVLISA)
  • Centralized Interpreter Services (CIS) – Edmonton area only
  • >International Federation of Translators

The knowledge test is a written exam that evaluates your understanding of Alberta’s traffic rules, road signs, and safe driving practices. It is a requirement for obtaining a learner’s permit. To prepare for the test, study the Alberta Driver’s Guide thoroughly, which is available online or at registry offices. You can also find online practice tests that simulate the real exam, helping you become familiar with the types of questions you’ll encounter.

No, you cannot drive alone with an Alberta learner’s permit. When you hold a Class 7 learner’s License, you must always have a supervising driver who holds a valid Class 5 (non-probationary) driver’s License accompanying you while you’re driving.

You must carry your learner’s for a minimum of one year (please see Alberta’s Graduated Drivers License Program). To exit the GDL program, you must hold a probationary License for at least two years.

Alberta Registration
Alberta Online Logo
E Registry Logo
Carfax Report Logo
Option Company Logo
Registration Are Us Logo

Receive Email or SMS Renewal Reminders | Sign up now